LOVE ALL, WORSHIP ONE!
Christ Episcopal Church
We are located on the corner of Sixth Street and Pokegama Avenue in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Gatherings began in 1885 and our official organization was in 1893.
Late in the 19th century, the Right Rev. Whipple and the Rev. Appleby and others worked to establish congregations in northern Minnesota communities and Native American reservations. Rev. Appleby traveled to New York in 1901 where funds assisted the building of the first Episcopal Church in Grand Rapids, called Holy Communion after its benefactor. The church became known as St. Marks, as well as Christ Memorial during the decades that followed.
In the 1950’s, the mission became an independent parish and built a larger building to accommodate an increase in size. Later, an addition included office space, nursery and a spacious meeting room dedicated to the founders of the church. In 2010, a mourning parish built a columbarium to honor their rector’s infant son, Mark North.
Active involvement in the community has been a hallmark for the congregation and its members. Rectors McDonald, Berg, North and Peters provided leadership in the hockey arena, Orthodox mission, YMCA, and law enforcement chaplaincy, respectively.
Our Mission : To know Christ and to love Him. This simple goal calls us to Listen, Proclaim, Serve and Celebrate! Listen: To God through word, prayer, and worship to God in the needs of the hungry, the lonely, and the oppressed. Proclaim: The hope in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and promote justice, peace and reconciliation for all people. Serve: As disciples of Christ making faith active in love as faithful stewards of the earth and use of our God-given gifts. Celebrate: God’s presence and love in all creation and promote unity and love in our diverse community.